Topping Off Carboys During Wine Making & Preventing Oxidation
An often asked question is how to top of carboys. There are a few options available...
- Add water, this dilutes your wine and lowers your acid levels
- Add some comparable wine, this can be expensive if you don't have a homemade wine to add
- Put in a smaller carboy, one of the best alternatives but not everyone has an extra carboy that is the right size...
- How about adding marbles? Yes, adding glass marbles will not have any negative impact on your wine and it will displace the vacant space at the top of your carboy, just make sure the marbles are not painted.
- Filling the vacant space at the top of your carboy with argon gas like Private Preserve