Simple, elegant, and sure to get the party started – here is a recipe for delicious Italian-style Lemoncello, which is a lemon-infused liqueur made with lemon peel and simple syrup, typically served chilled.
- 15 lemons, large w/ thick skins
- 750ml bottle of Everclear (190 proof)
- 4 cups sugar
- water (3 cups, then 5 cups)
- zester / fine grater / vegetable peeler
- glass jar & secondary container
- coffee filters
- Wash lemons with soap and hot water, then dry them completely.
- Zest lemons carefully to avoid the white pith under the outer peel. The peel will infuse the alcohol with sweetness and flavor, while any pith will add unwelcome bitterness.
- In a large glass jar or bottle, add the bottle of Everclear and 3 cups of water.
- Add the zest to the alcohol and water, close jar, and let sit for as long as possible in a cool dry area. 10 days minimum, 30+ days is recommended for a smooth final product. The alcohol will extract the color and flavor from the lemon peel.
- Filter the liqueur mixture into a secondary container by pouring it through 1-3 coffee filters placed into a funnel, removing all of the lemon zest. Filter multiple times, as needed, for a clearer product.
- Make a simple syrup by bringing 5 cups water to a boil, then turning off the heat and adding 4 cups sugar. Stir continuously until completely dissolved and smooth.
- Let the syrup cool, then add it to your filtered, lemon-infused alcohol mixture.
- Age for 10+ days, for best results wait 30+ days or longer. The Limoncello is complete, and will only get smoother as time passes.
- Bottle and store in freezer, and serve chilled directly from your freezer!